Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Every High School Senior Deserves A Portrait

I love to photograph high school seniors because they are just plain fun to do. 

But what happens when the senior has a disability, is in a wheel chair and cannot communicate like any other senior.  Depending on the disability they don't have the ability to pose for the photographer and generally the photographer doesn't have the patience nor wants to spend the time with them. 

Since I have been with the charity A Kid Again I have been asked to photograph children with disabilities which I have the patience and make the time for these special need teens.

Take for instance Elizabeth who is 21 years of age and is going to graduate this year.  Her parents wanted to have some photographs for her graduation.  With kindness, gentleness and a soothing voice I was able to communicate with Elizabeth to get her to become calm and make her feel that she was in a safe environment.  This technique works very well to allow the person to smile and have a good time.

The results are spectacular and very rewarding for the parents as well, as you can see here with this image of Elizabeth. 

I received an email for Elizabeth's mother and she wrote "Oh my goodness!!! It is awesome!!! I would have never imagined, I'm at a doctors appointment bawling .  I have never had anything that I will treasure more.  You are a miracle worker. Thank you"

My rewards do not always come from money but from giving a parent something that they will cherish forever. 

Congratulations Elizabeth you are a true scholar!

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME PICTURE!!! AWESOME YOU!!!
    sunshine and smiles,
    Martha Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous photo! Elizabeth would often cry when her picture was taken when she was little. To see this photo, without any positioning equipment takes my breath away! Thank you for giving the family such a great gift!
    Rochelle and family (Elizabeth's cousin)

    ReplyDelete